BizStore » Books » Expert Performance in Sports: Advances in Research on Sport Expertise
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Human Kinetics
Manufacturer: Human Kinetics
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 470
Publication Date: 2003-05-05
Publisher: Human Kinetics
Studio: Human Kinetics
Expert Performance in Sports: Advances in Research on Sport Expertise presents an overview of the critical issues facing researchers who study how athletes reach—and stay at—the pinnacle of their sports. The text will allow you to update your knowledge of sport expertise with the most current research and practical applications for the development of sport expertise in athletes, referees, and judges.
This comprehensive reference reflects both theoretical underpinnings and future directions in the understanding of sport expertise research and is the first book to look specifically at how elite athletes are developed.
Editors Janet L. Starkes and K. Anders Ericsson identify the questions typically asked in the study of sport expertise; they provide a stimulating, scientific debate that addresses the question of whether a general theory of expert performance is achievable; and they conclude with a glimpse of future directions for research on sport expertise.
This new reference answers controversial questions that arise with regard to the training of high-level performers:
-How easy or difficult is it for experts to retain high performance levels as they age?
-How can coaches structure practices to maximize active time and preparation for the next competition?
-What is the role of coaches and mentors who work with elite performers?
-What aspects of performance best reflect expert behaviors in a particular sport—anticipation, perceptual accuracy, decision speed, attention focus, response selection, response consistency, strategy, or others?
This is a must-have reference that will challenge researchers to identify both their theoretical underpinnings and future directions in their study of how the best excel at sports.
• Peak: Secrets from the New Science of Expertise
• Applied Sport Psychology: Personal Growth to Peak Performance
• Research Methods in Sports Coaching
• Coaching Children in Sport (Volume 1)
• The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance (Cambridge Handbooks in Psychology)
• Sport Physiology for Coaches
• The Sport Psychologist's Handbook: A Guide for Sport-Specific Performance Enhancement
• Measurement in Sport and Exercise Psychology With Web Resource
• Sport Psychology in Practice
• Risk Management in Sport and Recreation