BizStore » Books » The Essential Marcus Aurelius (Tarcher Cornerstone Editions)
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 144
Publication Date: 2008-01-10
Release Date: 2008-01-10
This inaugural-and all new-Tarcher Cornerstone Edition presents a stunningly relevant and reliable translation of the thoughts and aphorisms of the Stoic philosopher and Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, properly placing the philosopher-king's writings within the vein of the world's great religious and ethical traditions.
The late antique world possessed no voice like that of Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius (121-180 CE). His private meditations on what constitutes a good life have withstood the centuries and reach us today with the same penetrating clarity and shining light as the words of Shakespeare, Emerson, or Thoreau.
In this remarkable new translation, bestselling religious philosopher Jacob Needleman and classics scholar John P. Piazza have retained the depth of Marcus's perspective on life. They have carefully selected and faithfully rendered those passages that clarify Marcus's role as someone who stood within the great religious and ethical traditions that extend throughout every culture in human history. The voice that emerges from their translation is a universal one, equally recognizable to students of Christ, Buddha, the Vedas, the Talmud, and to anyone who sincerely searches for a way of meaning in contemporary life.
• The Essential Iliad
• The Sagas of Icelanders: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)
• Meditations: A New Translation
• Gilgamesh: A New English Version
• The Confessions: Saint Augustine of Hippo (Ignatius Critical Editions)
• Western Civilization, A Brief History
• Tao Te Ching: The New Translation from Tao Te Ching, The Definitive Edition (Tarcher Cornerstone Editions)
• RB 1980: The Rule of St. Benedict in English
• Nicomachean Ethics (The New Hackett Aristotle)